Thursday, August 24, 2017

SE Asia 2017 - Day 11 (8/24/2017) - Petronas Twin Towers then to Bangkok

After a quick workout and shower, I made it to the Petronas Twin Towers by the requested 8:45am for my 9am reservation.  The visit process was pretty efficient - they organize the time groups by color so that they can call them over together even when in common areas with other groups.  We spent about 10 minutes at the Skybridge and 15 minutes at the Observation deck.  We were back down to street level at 9:50, at which point I walked back to the hotel, checked out, and took an Uber to the airport.

View from Petronas Twin Towers Observation Deck

Some notes from the drive to KLIA...  Thirai mentioned this the day before as well, but each state and federal territory has a highway toll at its boundary (the drive to KLIA took us from Kuala Lumpur through Selangor, Putrajaya, and then back into Selangor).  Putrajaya and nearby Cyberjaya are new planned cities, and both have *a ton* of development underway.

At the airport I grabbed lunch at The Coffee Bean and then caught my 1:20pm flight to Bangkok.  The flight time was about 1:45, and I skipped the in-flight meal - it was a chicken dish.  Upon arrival and doing the standard arrival things, I took an Uber to the Grand China Hotel.  I should point out that it has been very helpful having free WiFi in all the airports that I've been through in SE Asia, as I have been able to either look up public transit directions or call an Uber using that service.  The one partial exception was Singapore, where you needed to receive a verification text to activate your WiFi session - which I couldn't do because I didn't have international cell service and wasn't yet on WiFi (a Catch-22 of sorts).

View from balcony at Grand China Hotel, Bangkok

It began raining soon after I arrived at the hotel, so that delayed my going out for about an hour.  After the rain stopped, I walked out in search of some dinner.  I walked around Chinatown for a while, but found things on the whole inscrutable.  I also tried to find a vegetarian restaurant from Happy Cow, but it looked like the place didn't exist on the dark street specified.  I gave up and walked over to Little India instead.  I once again couldn't locate the couple of places I had mapped from Happy Cow, but did find a nearby restaurant called Royal India that was open.  I had the Shahi Korma (it was just OK) there before walking back to the hotel.  The Internet connection was down when I returned and I was pretty tired, so I called it an early night around 9pm.

Bangkok Chinatown at dusk



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.